In my earlier posting on unusual equipment I have listed the incident where a player was using a shaft( without a head) as an aid to align his feet preparatory to making his stroke. He removed the shaft before making his stroke. The shaft was in addition to the 14 clubs he was carrying. Since many referees had different opinions about this practice, the matter was referred to R & A. R & A confirmed that use of such shaft by player to align his feet was a breach of Rule 14-3, with a penalty of disqualification.
Before the start of the PGTI Eagleton tournament, I discussed this matter with The tournament director Sampathchari.He indicated that some of the players in the circuit had developed the habit of aligning their feet with a shaft. His initial reaction was to notify the players to stop using such an aid.
However, Sampath who takes a practical approach, also looked at the players angle.He thought that such prohibition will be a bit harsh on the concerned players, who are used to this habit.He discussed the matter with other committee members.The committee decided to apply exception 1(c) to R 14-3 which seems to give the committee to exempt such practice if the player does not get any undue advantage over other players. The committee felt use of shaft does not give any undue advantage since decision 8-2a/1 sanctions such use, if the player uses one of his 14 clubs.
Suresh and I,as referees, concurred with this view.The committee did not enforce this prohibition.
Later, in the next tournament at KGA, we discussed this matter with Mickey Zarra,the renown USGA referee.Mickey does a lot of lateral thinking. Remember, his ruling on treating flooded bunkers as GUR through the Green? Mickey felt the exemption 1(c) under R 14-3 should be read with exception 1(a) and 1(b) which relate to medical condition. As such, the exemption relating undue advantage will be only in case of medical condition or medical reason.
I referred the matter to R & A who confirmed Mickeys view and indicated that that the committee can give this exemption 1(c) only for medical condition/medical reason.
I have forwarded the R & A opinion to Sampath. I am sure he will take the correct practical decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment