Friday, March 27, 2009

UNUSUAL EQUIPMENT-RULE 14-3

The Indian Amateur circuit for the year was concluded. As a referee, I normally volunteer for club level tournaments for my home club-Bangalore Golf Club. BGC recently conducted a two round stroke play tournament termed as the Centenary Cup. I was the sole referee for the tournament.On Day 2, I observed Darshan Veeraraghavan, one of the regulars in the amateur circuit, placing a shaft on the ground to align his stance, but his caddy removed the shaft before he made a stroke.He confirmed that that shaft( without the club head) he was using to align his feet was in addition to the 14 clubs he was carrying.He further stated that this approach was cleared by G. Suresh, his coach and a referee in the IGU and PGTI panel. I have a high regard for G.Suresh who is one of the most practical and down to earth referees seen in the circuit.While Decision 8-2a/1 permits use of one of the clubs he is carrying to be used for aligning, I had reservations about the use of shaft and was of the opinion that the player was in breach of R 14-3.As Suresh could not be contacted immediately, I consulted other referees-all qualified from R&A. Three of the referees ruled there was no breach. One senior referee applied decision 4-4a/14( broken club) and opined the player should be disqualified.
Since enough doubts have been cast on the breach, I did not impose any penalty on the player.I contacted a senior R& A Rules official Mr. Barker who confirmed this approach by the player was breach of Rule 14-3, use of unusual equipment. I conveyed the R& A ruling to G. Suresh who will advise his ward accordingly.

1 comment:

Canada said...

USGA golf rules can be very confusing. This illustrated version makes them clear and easy to understand with excellent illustrations and relevant examples. Great book for anyone wanting to learn the proper application of the rules.