Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Flagstick Saga

In the recent past as a referee, I was involved in a series of incidents involving flag stick.I was officiating as a referee in the recently concluded western India Juniors.I was assisted by two other referees. However, these two gentlemen were not full time referees and had other preoccupations.As a result, they have not updated with the latest changes in Rules and Decisions.
One of the referees noted that on the putting green, a player played a stroke and the ball in motion was heading towards the flastick removed and lying on the ground.He directed one of the fellow competitors to move the flagstick. The referee wanted to apply a penalty of 2 strokes under Rule 24-1. He was checking with me if the player or the fellow competitor incurs the penalty. I pointed out the amendments made in 2008 which exempts under Rule 24-1, movement of a flagstick when removed.Also, under Rule 17-2,the competitor is exempted since he moved the flagstick under the direction and knowledge of the player.
This brings up the question of updating and upgrading the knowledge of practicing referees.I am glad to note that IGU, the apex body of golf in India and R&A are working on this aspect.

No comments: